VPN Setup for MAC OS X : L2TP Protocol
This article explains how to setup L2TP VPN protocol connection on a MAC OSX.
Before we begin, you need to Activate your VPN account from your Smart DNS Proxy MyAccount panel. In order to do this login to your https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/MyAccount.
Under Home section you will find VPN Configuration Status. There simply enter the VPN username you would like to use and then click Activate. Your VPN account password will be the same as your Smart DNS Proxy account.
Setting up your MAC OSX for L2TP VPN:
Open "System Preferences" and click on the "Network" icon.
Click on the "+" button to add a new network.
Fill out the form as follows:
- For the Interface option, select "VPN".
- For the VPN Type option, select "L2TP over IPSec".
- In the Service Name box, enter "Smart DNS Proxy".
Click the "Create" button
* For above Service Name, you can enter any friendly name as you like. For example if you are setting up connection for UK server, you can enter "Smart DNS Proxy UK" so you will remember you are connecting to UK.
- In the Internet address box, enter the address of your choice "VPN" server.
- In the Account Name box, enter the value displayed next to "VPN Username".
- Make sure Encryption is set to "Automatic (128 or 40 bit)".
Click on the "Authentication Settings" button.
Make sure "Password" is selected and enter your Smart DNS Proxy account password, then clic Shared Secret field and enter s3CuREpaSs412 , then click "OK".
Click on the "Advanced" button. On the screen that appears, ensure the "Send all traffic over VPN connection" option is ENABLED.
Check the "Show VPN status in menu bar" option, then click the "Apply" button.
You can now click the "Connect" button and the VPN connection should be established.
You can connect and disconnect at anytime using the options in the menu bar at the top of the screen. If the VPN connection fails, see the troubleshooting tips below.
There are several reasons that the VPN connection will fail. Here are some things to check.
- L2TP protocol might be blocked in your Internet Service Provider connection. Try to setup OpenVPN connection.
If the VPN connection still fails, please log a ticket with our support team for assistance.